Thursday, July 23, 2015

Feeling Good!

So, this third round was tough.  Lots of nausea.  Lots. Of. Nausea.  On Monday, I had an appointment for my initial evaluation for the Strides to Strength program (I will explain in a moment...)  I woke up at 7 am and was starving...and nauseous--kind of like morning sickness.  I went downstairs and made some scrambled eggs and toasted a bagel.  It was delicious.  I felt marginally better.  I picked up a People Magazine that my Aunt Liz gave me and read all about the Kennedy's nanny and all the pictures she took of the family.  --and then I turned the page and started reading an article about a doctor who was falsely diagnosing people with cancer and administering chemotherapy...reading all the stories about chemo made my stomach start churning.  I made a run for the bathroom in the nick of time.

I was able to get myself back together and then went to my appointment.  The Strides to Strength program is for cardiac, pulmonary, and cancer patients.  It is a 3 month health and fitness program for anyone in any part of their recovery.  The classes are three days a week.  It's pretty awesome, actually.  Anyway, I had to go get evaluated--they checked my blood pressure and heart rate, and then had me walk for 6 minutes and then checked blood pressure and heart rate again.  I did pretty well, and I started the actual program on Wednesday.

On Wednesday I went in for my first class.  I worked one-on-one with "Brandon the Intern" who was probably 22 years old.  He just graduated from East Carolina.  I worked on three cardio machines while he monitored my heart rate.  He said I was a rock star.  I told him that it only seemed that way since I was the youngest patient in the gym by at least 25 years...

Today was the first day that I truly felt well all day.  We went to school while Emma was at gymnastics.  I worked in my room trying to get it set up.  Usually our first few days are full of professional development stuff, so usually Thursday and Friday are "work in your room" days...  Our teacher workday week will also be a chemo round, so I won't be at school at the end of the week.

Anyway, I'm so glad to be feeling better!  I'm gonna make the most of this week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment