Monday, June 22, 2015

Holy Expansion, Batman! (WARNING...Not terribly graphic, but not for the squeamish)

Well, first I need to say that today was a great day--other than some mild nausea this morning, I have felt really good all day!  Whew!  I know that I didn't do myself any favors by not making myself drink lots of liquids this weekend.  I'm sure that dehydration amplified the headaches, muscle aches, and nausea.  I will try better next time.

This morning we got Jake to swim practice, Emma to dance camp, and then headed back to Birkdale for my first "expansion" appointment with the plastic surgeon.  I was feeling pretty apprehensive and a little anxious about the whole thing, and let me tell you why...  First, the nurse has to find the port on each of the tissue expanders--essentially pouches that will be slowly filled up with fluid to help stretch my skin and muscles.  Then, she pokes a needle into it and pushes a giant syringe filled with saline into the expander.  Now, I can tell you that for the most part, the place on my chest where my boobs once were is pretty numb.  I can feel pressure, but for the most part, I don't feel much.  Regardless, the thought of that needle being stuck in what was once a very sensitive spot, made me a little anxious...

Abby, my nurse was fantastic.  I can honestly say that I truly didn't feel a thing, although my toes did curl up when she was poking that needle through.  When she started pushing that saline through the syringe, I could literally see my boob growing.  Very weird, indeed.  I had to look away at the end though, because I didn't want to see what (if any) kind of fluid would be coming out once the needle was removed.

Everything went well.  Both boobs got 60 cc's of saline.  I was prepared to be sore afterwards, but I haven't noticed any soreness yet.  So far, this has been the easiest of all of the procedures I've been through so far!

A few weeks ago I realized another benefit to the reconstruction...  When I had boobs, I wasn't able to see my belly when I was standing or sitting...  Now that my boobs are basically non-existent, I see my belly all the time and I don't like it.  Don't get me wrong, I am still focused on losing the rest of the weight - although chemo will definitely slow me down in this endeavor...  I just wish I had a little more boob to camouflage the belly for right now...  The spare tire below the flat chest is just a little (pardon the pun) deflating...

Goodnight!

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment