Friday, June 12, 2015

The doctor called...

Yesterday at dinner, I got a call from a number I didn't recognize.  Normally I don't answer those, but these days I get so many calls from health care people I feel like I need to answer those strange phone numbers...

Anyway, it was Dr. Kuo, (pronounced "kwo", rhymes with so), my oncologist.  He called because he just got the results of the Oncotype DX test.  This is the test we were hoping to get the results from when we had our appointment on Tuesday.  Dr. Kuo said that the score that came back was a 21, which was a little higher than my last experience with the test.  Here's what the score means (from the breastcancer.org website):

Oncotype DX test results assign a Recurrence Score — a number between 0 and 100 — to the early-stage breast cancer or DCIS. You and your doctor can use the following ranges to interpret your results:
  • Recurrence Score lower than 18: The cancer or DCIS has a low risk of recurrence. The benefit of chemotherapy for early-stage breast cancer or radiation therapy for DCIS is likely to be small and will not outweigh the risks of side effects.
  • Recurrence Score between 18 and 31: The cancer or DCIS has an intermediate risk of recurrence. It’s unclear whether the benefits of chemotherapy for early-stage breast cancer or radiation therapy for DCIS outweigh the risks of side effects.
  • Recurrence Score greater than 31: The cancer or DCIS has a high risk of recurrence, and the benefits of chemotherapy for early-stage breast cancer or radiation therapy for DCIS are likely to be greater than the risks of side effects.
So...  I scored just barely in the "intermediate risk" category...  It's unclear whether the benefits of chemo outweigh the risks/side effects....  Awesome.

So, how do I not do it?  It's possible that the benefits could outweigh the risks.  If I didn't do it, I would always worry and wonder if I did everything I could to keep cancer away. (Also, I won't have to shave for at least a year!!  Silver linings...)

On the other hand, it's also possible that the risks outweigh the benefits.  Adrimyacin is one of the chemo drugs I'll take, and it can be a little tough on the heart.  What if I am trading my cancer for heart issues?

ugh.

So, I start my first round of chemo on June 18th.  I need to find some fun, summery, wide-brimmed hats.  Any ideas on where to go for that??

As far as the surgery goes, I'm healing pretty well.  I'm getting a pretty good range of motion going in my arms and shoulders.  I've started driving again--and it is truly surprising how much of your chest muscles you use steering.  I feel every single one of them when I have to make a sharp turn!

Dane has been amazing, as I knew he would be.  I know that he is feeling the stress start to build up though.  I really do feel like the caregivers, family members sometimes have it the hardest.

Love you all.  Thank you for being there for our family!



No comments:

Post a Comment